[aur-dev] [aur-general] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

Xavion xavion.0 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 02:04:52 UTC 2015

> It looks this thread is on it's way to become spam...

Why?  Is it because you don't like watching me romping to victory?

> You got a couple of spam requests this month. I went back a couple of
> months and coudn't find any requests related to you.

That indicates exponential growth.

> If it really was a Problem, I guess the TUs would want to change that
> themselves. Afterall they are the ones that would be really affected by
> that problem.

Prior to my opening of this thread, I don't think the TUs realised why they
were getting these "file requests".  This is the main reason I opened it.

> I don't think english speakers are the problem here. For all the others,
> there is something called different translations. And whatever you do, if
> you have some kind of input form, you'll get spam.

I am a native English speaker and even I had to do a double-take when I
first saw "File Request".  For the record, both natives and ESLs have
reported having difficulty interpreting it.

Since there's a new "Gospel of Mark" outside of the Christian Bible
> that I have not written and is somehow about me (that I have not read
> yet, please send me a copy), it would probably say to read
> documentation and understand what you are using before you use attempt
> to use it.  If this person is being serious, he should be made aware of
> the documentation available.

See my earlier email about leading a horse to water.

> Also what does the gun laws in the United States have to do with any
> part of this?  Usually the people who use those guns are familiar with
> how to use one.

They are both systemic flaws that need to be fixed.

> This is a case where ignorance is causing an issue and I only think it
> is a trivial problem (or lack of).

IMHO, the fix (i.e. "Lodge a Request") is even more trivial than the
problem itself.

Following the argumentation that every written expression must be possibly
> put in a correct english sentence, the whole table would have to be changed
> to:

_The_ Package Actions
> View _the_ PKGBUILD / View _any_ Changes
> Download _the_ snapshot
> Search _for_this_package_in_the_ wiki
> Flag _this_ package out-of-date
> Vote for this package | Remove _my_ vote
> Notify _me_ of new comments | Disable _any_ notifications
> [ Manage _the_ Co-Maintainers ]
> File _a_ Request
> [ Disown _this_ package ]

No, only the confusing ones should be changed.  I thought this would've
been pretty obvious.

Some changements may not be strictly necessary to form a correct english
> sentence, however the extracted part of that sentence would then lack the
> respective syntactical context, e.g.:
> "Dear Server, would you please disable notifications completely for me?"
> Probably this sentence could be simplified while maintaining its
> correctness, but stripping of some semantically necessary information, more
> precisely which notifications are to be disabled.

I don't see the point in all of that.  We just need to change "File
Request" to "Lodge a Request" (or similar).

Though I am not a native speaker either, so any improvements or corrections
> are welcome.

I don't know why anyone would bother.  It's all collateral that can be
flushed away.

... You hardly need to have a degree in anything to know more about English
> than a native speaker. In fact, native speakers tends to know less about
> their language than non-native speakers. Assuming that you are, in fact, a
> native speaker of English, you're proving yourself to be a prime example of
> this.

It's true that ESLs are forced to pay more attention to specifics than
natives are.  However, there are also times when ESLs miss the boat
completely (through lack of know-how).

> It is most definitely not. A double negative is a grammatical construct
> where two forms of /grammatical/ negation is used in the same sentence.
> Using a semantically negative word in the same sentence as a grammatically
> negated one does not in any way or form count as a double negative.

That's where you're wrong, Pal.  The (English) Wikipedia article on the
"double negative" lists exactly the example I provided for you ("I'm not
feeling bad" versus "I'm feeling good").  So, back to my original
point: "Unless
you have at least a master's degree in linguistics, I wouldn't recommend
thinking you know more about English than a native speaker does".

> Hardly better. "File a Request" would be better though, but I don't feel
> like rebuilding the translation catalogues, so I'll let Lukas change it.

You seem to be about as clued up on this as Marky Mark is.  As mentioned in
an earlier email: "The word "file" has a double meaning with respect to the
AUR, while "lodge" does not.  This is because the AUR's central topic is
"files", but it has nothing to do with "lodges".