[aur-dev] Display of alternative source name instead of URL on packages' web pages

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 26 19:17:37 UTC 2015

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 at 17:29:42, Peter Mattern wrote:
> Hello.
>
> An alternative source name set in variable 'source' of PKBDUILD is
> replacing the URL in packages' web pages, see e. g.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cantata-git/ where section "Sources
> (1)" states "cantata-git" instead of
> "git+https://github.com/CDrummond/cantata.git".
>
> I'm not absolutely sure whether this behaviour may eventually be
> expected but actually don't think it makes a lot of sense.
> So wouldn't it be better to have the URL displayed regardless of an
> alternative source name is set or not?

Yes, this behavior is intended and I personally think it makes sense.
The semantics of sources the form filename::url is: Obtain the file from
the given URL but change the source name to the given file name. The
best way to replicate this semantics in HTML is to use the URL as link
target and use the name as link label.