[aur-dev] Stop limiting the height of AUR comments?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 00:28:04 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 06:58 PM, Nicholas Sielicki via aur-dev wrote:
> About one year ago this change was proposed and committed to limit the height
> of comments on AUR pages.  (If you're looking for it in your inbox, this post
> took place on the aur-general list, not on aur-dev.)
>
> I'm posting because I find this behavior more annoying than helpful.

IIRC, we talked about this on #archlinux-aur about a week ago, and you
said you posted something then (tried to?)...

> lfleischer suggested (on the thread quoted above) that one potiential solution
> could be a link towards the bottom of long comments that ties into javascript,
> where one could click to expand it. I think that's a much better solution--
> provided that the full contents of the comment would still be accessibile in a
> browser without javascript. eg: page is served with fully visible comments,
> long comments are hidden by javascript after it loads.

Indeed this is probably the most elegant solution. But CSS was easy I
guess. ;)
Do you have a patch to do it with javascript? :)

> Personally, I think the best solution would be to just revert the change
> entirely. I disagree with the notion that long comments are "usually useless".
> I think that more often than not, the opposite is actually true-- longer
> comments typically are the ones that contain fixes/patches for broken AUR
> pkgbuilds. Not to mention, comments on aurweb are already paginated after 10
> comments-- that alone keeps the page (relatively) short.

No, fixes/patches should be left as links to a pastebin. Trying to apply
such changes from the comment block is incredibly awkward, and actual
patchfiles provide a much nicer patch workflow as opposed to expecting
the maintainer to copy-paste things into a file and then patch with that.

Likewise with build errors, I would much rather people post a one-line
error message with a pastebin reference to the full build log.

--
Eli Schwartz