[aur-dev] Stop limiting the height of AUR comments?

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 00:35:06 UTC 2017

Le 09/03/2017 à 15:58, Nicholas Sielicki via aur-dev a écrit :

> On Sun, 2016-03-06 at 22:09 +0000, Eric Engestrom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Every now and then, someone will post a huge dump (log, error messages,
>> etc.) to the AUR comments. Besides being usually useless, those comments
>> force everyone to scroll for a while before getting to the next comment.
>>
>> What do you guys think about adding something like this to limit the
>> vertical space taken by such comments?
>>
>>> #news div p {
>>>   max-height: 10em;
>>>   overflow: auto;
>>> }
>> If the idea is approved, I can send a proper patch ;]
> About one year ago this change was proposed and committed to limit the height
> of comments on AUR pages.  (If you're looking for it in your inbox, this post
> took place on the aur-general list, not on aur-dev.)
>
> I'm posting because I find this behavior more annoying than helpful.

From my POV, it’s both. Because it has pros and cons.

> Take a look at the following AUR page as an example:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-next-git/
>
> The biggest issue that I have is that if a comment is truncated in height,
> there's no way to expand the comment such that the whole comment is visible.

That’s the real issue, not the fact they are truncated.

> At least for me, seeing only a small portion of the comment at a time makes it much harder to fully grok, particularly when it comes to things like logs, error messages, patches, etc.

Those should rather be pasted on pasting services though, but still…

> Beyond that, try loading that AUR page on your phone, or try navigating the
> comments with one of the browser plugins for vim-bindings. On my phone, it's
> not obvious at first glance that the truncated comments are individually
> scrollable.  I believe that multiple vertical scrollbars on a page is not a
> great experience in any browser.

Agree.

> lfleischer suggested (on the thread quoted above) that one potiential solution
> could be a link towards the bottom of long comments that ties into javascript,
> where one could click to expand it. I think that's a much better solution--
> provided that the full contents of the comment would still be accessibile in a
> browser without javascript. eg: page is served with fully visible comments,
> long comments are hidden by javascript after it loads.

That looks like a real solution, and what I was going to answer as a
proposition after starting reading your post. But it’s already here. :)

> Personally, I think the best solution would be to just revert the change
> entirely. I disagree with the notion that long comments are "usually useless".

Disagree, I think the AUR is cluttered with useless comments, but this
might really depends on which packages you make use of.

> I think that more often than not, the opposite is actually true-- longer
> comments typically are the ones that contain fixes/patches for broken AUR
> pkgbuilds.

Like I said above, those should belong to paste services.

> Not to mention, comments on aurweb are already paginated after 10
> comments-- that alone keeps the page (relatively) short.

Not if someone do what you says, i.e. pasting it’s full log of trying to
build whatever program.

Regards,
Bruno