Extending the RPC to include "provides" info (Was: alad at mailbox.org)

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 8 02:44:34 UTC 2018

On 03/07/2018 09:24 PM, Actionless Loveless wrote:
> Currently AUR web interface is able to resolve the dependencies in case if
> the dependendent package is provided by another package (see
> python2-catkin-pkg in the dependencies list):
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ros-indigo-catkin/
>
> However AUR RPC is not allowing querying by Provides field but only by `name`,
> `name-desc` and `maintainer` fields:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php
>
> The discussion about that problem (https://github.com/
> actionless/pikaur/issues/53) resulted in at least 3 possible ways to
> resolve that issue:
> - adding name-desc-provides filter
> - adding provides filter
> - when searching by name match not only Name field but also Provides field
>
> Please let me know if you're OK with one of the following approaches or
> propose another one. And if you fine with the idea let me know if you can
> implement such filter or I should send a patch.
> Also related ticket: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/49090
>

> All best, Yauheni Kirylau

I think I would prefer extending `name` and `name-desc` as we always
want to know any package that can be the searched-for name. And it is
not like anyone was assuming only one result would be returned... this
was never an exact name search to begin with.

P.S. The email subject should probably refer to the topic matter, not
the email of the person who suggested you post here. :)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User