alad at mailbox.org

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 8 12:40:13 UTC 2018

On 03/08/2018 12:24 AM, Mikael Blomstrand wrote:
> I'm pretty new to this mailing list. But I'm been thinking the same thing.
> Talked about it in a previous mail.
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2018-March/034001.html
>
> I think it's a great idea. When searching by name, i think the rpc should
> at least also search by the "replaces" attribute too. Provides would be a
> separate query but it could also be the same.

That would have very little utility, as a package which replaces another
package cannot satisfy a build dependency on it, whereas a provides is
literally meant to ensure that that package is considered to be the same
as the package it provides.

It is semantically wrong, as that is simply not what a "replaces"
keyword even means....

Its only conceivable use would be to enable AUR packages to
automatically sync and replace existing packages, which would simply be
incorrect.

No thanks, let's stick to adding provides as an alias for the package
they provide.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User