TAP testing in Python

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 22 21:35:23 UTC 2020

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 12:29:41, Filipe Laíns wrote:
> Why should we use unittest over pytest? pytest is easier to read and
> write, more extensible/has more integrations and has a larger userbase.
> The only caveat is that people would have to fo a quick read on
> fixtures before they start contributing.
>
> Choosing pycotap over tappy/pytest-tap would make sense if we already
> had a codebase written in unittest, but we don't.
>
> Lukas, what do you think?

I have a slight personal preference towards pytest. However, the much
more important questions to ask are:

1. How easy/convenient will it be to write tests for aurweb using the
   framework? What about maintainability?

2. How easy/straightforward will it be for future contributors to write
   tests using the framework?

3. How well does the framework integrate with the current test suite?

Having a small script that can be fully included in our source tree is a
nice bonus but shouldn't be one of the main criteria.

How hard would it be to make pytest-tap compatible with the usual TAP
test invocation?

Lukas