Automating cleanup of AUR

Amin Vakil info at aminvakil.com
Sat Dec 11 12:14:38 UTC 2021

> The requests queue is getting pretty filled with requests for packages
> that quite clearly have been abandoned with no chance of them ever
> becoming useful. It can be pretty exhausting to keep up with that queue!
>
> In particular, there's a lot of "low-hanging fruit" packages that can be
> pruned from the AUR: Orphaned, 0 votes, last updated years ago packages
> are hardly worth keeping around, are they?
>
> Has such a conversation popped up before? I didn't find anything in the
> archives past the patch by Lukas enabling automatic orphaning of an OOD
> package after 180 days. [1]
>
> If automatically deleting packages on a schedule isn't welcome, would it
> make sense to at least explore a patch wherein a deletion request for
> e.g. an orphaned package/<10 votes/last updated >=2 years ago is
> automatically accepted?

I can recall many times NetSysFire talking about how hard maintaining
wiki pages could be when there isn't a deletion request for an AUR
package in #archlinux-aur.

I'm not sure how they can handle this automatic deletion of packages
without a request for it, maybe a list of automatically deleted packages
suffice?

Best Regards,
Amin Vakil

---

Oops, my previous message had wrong subject.