Questions with setting up aurweb instance

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 23 20:44:44 UTC 2021

On 6/23/21 4:17 PM, Hunter Wittenborn via aur-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the middle of setting up an aurweb instance, but I'm having a few
> issues getting it set up:
>
> First - no mail is getting sent for some reason. I'm fairly certain my
> email config in /etc/aurweb/config is set properly, as changing it also
> didn't yield any results. Is the `sendmail` option supposed to be set?
> It was empty, and I was thinking it might've been causing issues, but I
> wasn't sure what to do with it.

If it is set to the path of a sendmail binary, then the notify-cmd
(aurweb-notify) will send messages to sendmail(1) and expect your MTA to
be correctly configured.

If it is not set, then you'll need the other keys in the [notifications]
section (the smtp-* ones) correctly configured for the python "smtplib"
library to communicate with an MTA that will send messages on your behalf.

If neither is working, then check out the send() function in
aurweb/scripts/notify.py, the smtplib interactions are fairly simple and
I'm not sure what the problem might be.

> Second - how do I create Trusted Users? After signing up (without being
> able to get the emails, so I'm stick), I'm seeing that I'm a normal,
> registered user, but how would I go about making myself a Trusted User?

Our production instance had those manually set up and accounts have
always been migrated, never re-inited from scratch. You need to create
or modify an account with the SQL field AccountTypeID set to 2.

The current setup lets aurweb be initialized via

python -m aurweb.initdb

I would be open to extending this so that it allows defining an initial
admin user; perhaps a management command too?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User