[aur-general] non-http aur access

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 08:28:31 EDT 2008

2008/8/17 wakeup <wakeup at erehwon.de>:
> Hi folks,
> I think there should be a way to access the AUR without having to use a
> full featured web browser, preferably a command-line client.
> I suggest exposing a db (like every repository got one) and an ftp site
> which contains the same as http://aur.archlinux.org/packages to public
> use. On that way one could easily write clients that fetch the db,
> perform queries offline and get the tarballs via ftp.
> I do realize that there is yaourt, but that work-around is not exactly
> what I thought of.
> What do you think?

There's already an RPC interface for the AUR:
http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php

You can always write a script which fetches
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages every X hours and stores
the package names in a text file. Fetching tarballs is also
easy -- a simple script will do the job (the tarballs are in
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/$pkgname/$pkgname.tar.gz)
There's also the excellent aurvote [1] which allows you to vote
for packages from the command line. It can also be extended
to flag packages out of date, for example.

--
Abhishek