[aur-general] non-http aur access

Loui louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:12:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 04:16:57PM +0200, wakeup wrote:
> I do realize that it is possible to write those CLI-tools with a lot of
> shell-hacking and excessive use of various string manipulation tools.
> You have to see though, that this is a pain for devs! I do not think
> AUR's web interface represents the Arch way (keeping it simple) good
> enough, because it makes writing a light client much more difficult than
> it has to be.
> Of course one can access the AUR via CLI, but it sure is not the simple
> way.
>
> Think of the other benefits a client/server model brings with it, like
> bigger scalability through mirroring (and in general) or the
> possibility to choose your favorite client.

There isn't any good full featured non web access to AUR.

I'd love to see something like that, and eventually I mean to start
writing a system from scratch that could replace AUR. There was a
project called repoman a while back that was attempting to do something
similar I think.

Take a look at tupkg and tupkgs in the AUR code. I was thinking that
might be useful for writing a new system.

Also, this discussion might be more appropriate in aur-dev.