[aur-general] non-http aur access

Callan Barrett wizzomafizzo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 10:37:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:16 PM, wakeup <wakeup at erehwon.de> wrote:
> Thank you for the replies first off, but I think you misunderstood me.
>
> I do realize that it is possible to write those CLI-tools with a lot of
> shell-hacking and excessive use of various string manipulation tools.
> You have to see though, that this is a pain for devs! I do not think
> AUR's web interface represents the Arch way (keeping it simple) good
> enough, because it makes writing a light client much more difficult than
> it has to be.
> Of course one can access the AUR via CLI, but it sure is not the simple
> way.
>
> Think of the other benefits a client/server model brings with it, like
> bigger scalability through mirroring (and in general) or the
> possibility to choose your favorite client.
>
> cheers,
> wakeup

I was under the impression the other replies in this thread explained
this but please see this link: http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php

This is a JSON interface for the AUR, it allows most queries possible
on the web interface and is exactly what you're looking for. It
provides everything you're asking with the benefit of not having to
download an entire database.

--
Callan Barrett