[aur-general] Proposed rules for packages entering [community]

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Mon Dec 1 04:01:24 EST 2008

I basically agree that we need some form of control.

However I have some reservations and comments.

First, I would like to understand the usefulness of discussing and
voting on this proposal first, before tackling the (IMO probably more
serious issue) of having too many packages with very low popularity /
usefulness in our community repo. Perhaps the former issue is easier to
deal with? Or could serve as a basis for dealing with the latter one?

Now to the specific points of the proposal:
> * Only "popular" packages may enter the repo, as defined by 1% usage
> from pkgstats or 10 votes on the AUR.

Allan, can you develop a bit more what is your criterion for the figures
1% or 10 votes. Why not 5% or 3 votes? (which in my humble opinion would
seem to make more sense...)

> * Any additions not covered by the above criteria must first be
> proposed on the aur-general mailing list, explaining the reason for
> the exemption (e.g. renamed package, new package) at which point a
> general consensus from the TUs will be reached. TUs with large numbers
> of "non-popular" packages are more likely to be rejected.

What should a "general consensus" look like? If 5 TUs are for and 3 are
against and the remaining ones do not reply, do we say yes or no? Can we
be more specific on the above point without burdening the procedure with
bureaucratic rules?

> Stefan Hussmann wrote:
>> Some thoughts. - If we encourage people to drop packages that are not
>> popular, we
>> should also encourage them to take packages in "usupported" that _are_
>> popular to "community".
>
> That would be the idea.

I have examined the repos extra, community and unsupported quite
carefully, and as a result I do not think there are that many packages
in unsupported that really deserve being in community! Possible
candidates are

yaourt, etc: but only if wain would become a TU AND if we think it is a
good idea to support that very popular tool (not sure personally – also
it is only a script, so easy to install).
aurup
nspluginwrapper-flash + dependencies > well, these are no longer
required I believe
splashy
wine-doors
songbird
<enemy-territory, warsow, openarena etc. : if TUs are interested>
uswsusp
customizepkg
pactools
archassistant
vlc-plugin
fbsplash

Otherwise, I would rather VERY MUCH encourage TUs to have a look at the
packages in EXTRA that are currently orphaned, and to contact the devs
if you are interested to maintain some of them in community. There are
many more important packages there that would deserve to be maintained
in community than being orphaned in extra.

That's it for now.