[aur-general] Proposed rules for packages entering [community]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 1 00:00:55 EST 2008

stefan-husmann at t-online.de wrote:
> Hello,
> sorry, something must be wrong with my IRC-environment or with my
> knowledge about it. Again I did not manage to join.
> So let me discuss the proposal here.
>
> First I have some questions.
>
> What are accessibility packages? Things like ssh?

I mean packages for people with disabilities.

>> - packages that are part of a collection and are intended to be
>> distributed together, provided the primary part of this collection
>> satisfies the definition of popular
>>
> To whose intention do you reflect here? I guess to upstreamer's
> intention? I think of the texlive-doc packages here I maintain in
> community.

For this I am meaning groups of packages that are "split" upstream.  e.g
all the alsa components.

>> TUs with large numbers of "non-popular" packages are more likely to be
>>
> rejected.
> Do you mean that? Or should it be"packages of TUs with large numbers of
> "non-popular" packages are more likely to be rejected."?

Yeah.  It should say "Proposed additions from TUs with large numbers...."

> Some thoughts.
> - If we encourage people to drop packages that are not popular, we
> should also encourage them to take packages in "usupported" that _are_
> popular to "community".

That would be the idea.

> - What if there are popular third party repos with packages? Should this
> give an impact on our decision to put these packages to community or
> not?

I don't think that should be a big consideration.  But I suppose if you
only want to bring in 1 package out of 2 and a third party repo has one...