[aur-general] community back-end rewrite

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:55:47 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the TU meetings there was some discussion about doing a
> rewrite/update/fix-up of the [community] back-end.  I am not sure who all is
> looking at this and what the plans are - hence this email.
>
> Can people who are looking at this or interested in looking at this give a
> ping back to this message with whatever plans you have or work you have
> already done.
>
> Things I want to flag:
> - we should get a git repo for a community-backend project on the arch
> server and separate this from the aur site code. - we should switch SCM
> tools from CVS.  I am strongly in favour of using the same system as the
> main repos which would allow much code reuse and easily get us a testing
> repo for community packages. (No more big rebuild issues!).

To whoever is doing this: Please remain in touch with me for this. I
would *love* it if the community backend just ran the official db
scripts under the 'aur' user. This would not only simplify the code,
but allow us to unify lots of changes.

Additionally, the database itself should be updated the same way the
official database is done - parse the db.tar.gz and
insert/update/delete accordingly.

In short: the community backend should really just accept packages via
upload (authenticated, or course), dump them in a common location
(/home/aur/staging) and then setup a cronjob to run db-update
periodically. This cronjob should also find packages in the db.tar.gz
and not in CVS and run db-remove on them.

If we can collaborate enough on this, we could even use the same
functionality for extra and core.