[aur-general] Someone hug sergej

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:09:00 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Callan Barrett <wizzomafizzo at gmail.com> wrote:
> sergej I'm sorry for trying to vote you out. It was a pretty big dick
> move on my part.
>
> I think you've shown yourself to be perfectly capable of maintaining
> all these packages and like other people have said although it's
> impossible for you to put complete care into each package you're very
> good at fixing stuff when it's reported. I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW I
> APPRECIATE YOUR WORK. :')

HA!
Thats very easier to say since many of the packages having 0% usage originally
comes from you :P

Seriously now, anyone who disrespects other people's work is an
ungreateful son of a
bitch. And Sergej has put a lot of work on packaging, no doubt.
But that doesnt change anything. All facts remain. Maintaining
hundreds of hardly
used packages as binary while at the same time there are 300 scripts in AUR with
more than 40 votes waiting to be adopted is not appropriate and a big problem.
Moreover if you fail to admit that there is a problem. Archlinux has grown and
continues doing so.
And this has been a problem for far too long that needed to be solved
at some point.
In fact thats what [community] has always been about right? Having
popular packages
from unsupported?
note: I wonder if the GPL commpliance issue involves [community] too.
That would be a really
interesting task to watch being achieved.

As phrakture in one of his earlier emails, the most important IMO
problem is there is not
frequent commnication between the members of the TU group. As it
happens for example
with the developers.
eg. Even TUs said on the thread i started on the arch-general mailing
list that Sergej is a
package making machine. And people have been saying that for as long
as i can remember.
He rarely paricipates on anything community related. Before the rules
on voting, he never
really did.
Im not saying he should be available all day on the IRC, forum, and ML
but he could be a bit
more active especially on TU related stuff. Especially since he
maintains lots of packages.
And i only used Sergej as an example here. He probably is not the only one.

Greg