[aur-general] Donations and upgrades

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 14:05:04 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:40 PM, w9ya <w9ya at qrparci.net> wrote:
> If you guys put
> the same vigor and effort into promoting a fundraising effort, you would
> have the resources to host all manner of binary packages MUCH AS OTHER
> DISTROS DO WITHOUT A NEED TO CULL OUT THINGS AS A FIRST STEP.

And it's really that easy, is it? Do you know I have to pay taxes on
our donation money? We're not a non-profit organization. You can't
just donate to a person and make it a tax writeoff. There's many many
things in there that I think you're missing.

More to the point, it takes EFFORT from people. The last upgrade took
a lot of Dale's, Dan's, and my time.

It's easy to sit on the outside and say "It's easy! Just do this!".
There are many many hurdles. Throwing money at a problem isn't the way
to fix it.