[aur-general] Official discussion period - Rules governing packages entering [community]

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 18:59:25 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Ivy Foster <joyfulgirl at archlinux.us> wrote:
> - Including a new, well-publicized (so people know they can turn it
>  off) function in pacman that would (optionally, default=yes)
>  to automagically send in installed/removed pkgs (and I suppose
>  a complete list the first time it's run) to something like Debian's
>  popularity-contest server.

Just because this one keeps coming up, I need to say this again (and
again, and again).

Functionality such as this will never ever make it into pacman. Ever.
I know I'm speaking for Dan here, but I'm confident he feels the same.
Pacman will never ever upload anything such as usage statistics.
Pacman is a package manager. External scripts can and should handle
this.