[aur-general] Official discussion period - Rules governing packages entering [community]

Callan Barrett wizzomafizzo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 03:01:18 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Functionality such as this will never ever make it into pacman. Ever.
> I know I'm speaking for Dan here, but I'm confident he feels the same.
> Pacman will never ever upload anything such as usage statistics.
> Pacman is a package manager. External scripts can and should handle
> this.

I'm unsure why other solutions even come up at all. Barring impossible
and invasive solutions such as monitoring every single one of our
mirrors or forcing people to upload statistics I'd like someone to
come up with a "better" solution than what we currently have in voting
and pkgstats.

Also keep in mind that voting for packages isn't meant to be seen as a
"this percentage of users use this package", it's a vote. If you like
a package you vote for it, if you'd like a package to go into
community you vote for it. It doesn't mean that whoever voted
represents X amount of users overall (I guess in this case it also
means we're coming up with a fairly arbitrary number for how many
votes are required but as long as it's thought out properly it
wouldn't matter). It's perfectly valid for what we need it for.

--
Callan Barrett