[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 22 00:14:44 EST 2008

Ghost1227 wrote:
> Callan Barrett wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Ghost1227 <ghost1227 at archlinux.us>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 Great idea! (one of those why didn't that ever occur to me
>>> things)... My
>>> only question is, Allan, if you've been thinking of this for a
>>> while, why
>>> are you hesitating to implement it? And what can we as TUs do to
>>> help see
>>> this come to fruition/make the transition easier?
>>>

>> I imagine he's been hesitant since it's a pretty massive task. As long
>> as nobody pulls a bfinch on us we could probably make this idea
>> reality.
>>

> Has that term been coined as an official TU catchphrase? "Pulling a
> bfinch?" :P

Lets not...

My main thinking in the past was to unify the tools used for the
"official" and community repos.  That either involved fixing the
community/AUR integration to use the new official devtools or split
community and the AUR completely.   If we split them, then we (being
devs and TUs) need to decide whether the community packages get shown on
the main Arch package page or are kept separate.  As Callan put it, a
big change with lots of planning needed...

Allan