[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Sebastian Nowicki sebnow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 10:38:12 EST 2008

On 22/12/2008, at 2:14 PM, Allan McRae wrote:

>  If we split them, then we (being devs and TUs) need to decide
> whether the community packages get shown on the main Arch package
> page or are kept separate.

Considering many people have asked for this already, I'd say it would
be a good move to have it on the main Arch site. In addition to that,
there have been many discussions about (and even work towards)
rewriting AUR, and I'm sure this task would be easier if [community]
was out of the way (support for binary and PKGBUILD repositories, vs
just PKGBUILD repositories).

The only downside to this that I see is the loss of the political
separation of community from the official repositories. There always
seemed to be a wall between the two, with community being an
"unsupported" repository. If this repository shows up on the main
website, it would seem as though it is officially supported. I'm not
sure how that affects the developers.