[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 01:49:01 EST 2008

2008/12/23 Eric Bélanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca>:
> I think it all boils down to what would be the easiest/best solution in
> terms of permissions handling.  If we don't give them access to the
> server, then a separate community-testing that would be updated with a
> daemon like community might be better.  We also want the TU to only be
> able to put only community package in testing, modify them in testing if needed
> and then move them back to community. If they have access to the server to
> run the db scripts and we can set proper permissions on the testing repo
> then we could just have one testing repo.

Why not merge extra and community, and give permissions accordingly? Even
now there are quite a few packages in extra that are orphaned or have
not been updated in ages. Some popular packages were moved to
community recently, for example. Thus we need to shift around
packages between repositories depending on who is maintaining it
(dev or TU). If extra and community were merged, such problems
would not be there. Some packages are more important, and permissions
could be set to allow only certain people to write to that package
directory.

--
Abhishek