[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 23 01:54:18 EST 2008

Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> 2008/12/23 Eric Bélanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca>:
>
>> I think it all boils down to what would be the easiest/best solution in
>> terms of permissions handling.  If we don't give them access to the
>> server, then a separate community-testing that would be updated with a
>> daemon like community might be better.  We also want the TU to only be
>> able to put only community package in testing, modify them in testing if needed
>> and then move them back to community. If they have access to the server to
>> run the db scripts and we can set proper permissions on the testing repo
>> then we could just have one testing repo.
>>

> Why not merge extra and community, and give permissions accordingly? Even
> now there are quite a few packages in extra that are orphaned or have
> not been updated in ages. Some popular packages were moved to
> community recently, for example. Thus we need to shift around
> packages between repositories depending on who is maintaining it
> (dev or TU). If extra and community were merged, such problems
> would not be there. Some packages are more important, and permissions
> could be set to allow only certain people to write to that package
> directory.

AFAIK, it is a lot easier to give permissions for certain repos rather
than parts of repos, though I could be wrong.  Having the [community]
repo set up like [core] and [extra] would mean that moving packages
to/from community would involve running a single script, much like
currently moving packages from [testing] to the main repos.

Allan