[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 02:09:39 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
>> Why not merge extra and community, and give permissions accordingly? Even
>> now there are quite a few packages in extra that are orphaned or have
>> not been updated in ages. Some popular packages were moved to
>> community recently, for example. Thus we need to shift around
>> packages between repositories depending on who is maintaining it
>> (dev or TU). If extra and community were merged, such problems
>> would not be there. Some packages are more important, and permissions
>> could be set to allow only certain people to write to that package
>> directory.
>>

> AFAIK, it is a lot easier to give permissions for certain repos rather than
> parts of repos, though I could be wrong.  Having the [community] repo set up
> like [core] and [extra] would mean that moving packages to/from community
> would involve running a single script, much like currently moving packages
> from [testing] to the main repos.

Ya know... we COULD do that. We'd have to switch svn to be checked out
over http or use svnserve... it would mean me (or someone) doing the
complicated dance that is a svnserve permission file. Here's an
example if I can do this correct:

[groups]
gnome-guys = jan, foo, bar
pacman-dudes = dan, xavier, allan

[/]
* = r

[/pacman/]
@pacman-dudes = rw
aaron = rw

[/gnome/]
@gnome-guys = rw
# prevent allan from breaking it
allan =

I don't think the [/path] directives support wildcards... so this
would be tedious as all hell