[aur-general] storming in for no reason with crazy ideas

Eric Bélanger belanger at ASTRO.UMontreal.CA
Tue Dec 23 02:09:49 EST 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Allan McRae wrote:

> Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> > 2008/12/23 Eric Bélanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca>:
> >
> >> I think it all boils down to what would be the easiest/best solution in
> >> terms of permissions handling.  If we don't give them access to the
> >> server, then a separate community-testing that would be updated with a
> >> daemon like community might be better.  We also want the TU to only be
> >> able to put only community package in testing, modify them in testing if needed
> >> and then move them back to community. If they have access to the server to
> >> run the db scripts and we can set proper permissions on the testing repo
> >> then we could just have one testing repo.
> >>

> > Why not merge extra and community, and give permissions accordingly? Even
> > now there are quite a few packages in extra that are orphaned or have
> > not been updated in ages. Some popular packages were moved to
> > community recently, for example. Thus we need to shift around
> > packages between repositories depending on who is maintaining it
> > (dev or TU). If extra and community were merged, such problems
> > would not be there. Some packages are more important, and permissions
> > could be set to allow only certain people to write to that package
> > directory.
> >

> AFAIK, it is a lot easier to give permissions for certain repos rather
> than parts of repos, though I could be wrong.  Having the [community]
> repo set up like [core] and [extra] would mean that moving packages
> to/from community would involve running a single script, much like
> currently moving packages from [testing] to the main repos.
>
> Allan

I was thinking the same thing. If we merge extra and community, we'll need
to set permissions on a package-by-package basis instead of a repo-by-repo
basis. Better keep them separate.

believed to be clean.