[aur-general] license issues with google-earth in [community]?

Alessio Bolognino themolok.ml at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 05:54:03 EST 2008

On Mon 2008-02-18 11:32 , Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that there is google-earth in our repos. I am not an expert in
> such things, but distributing such software does not seem to be allowed. The
> license says:
>
> You agree that you will not, and will not allow any third party to, (i) copy,
> sell, license, distribute, transfer, modify, adapt, translate, prepare
> [...]

That's right, it's not distributable (so it have to be removed from
[community]).

This is confirmed (as if it was needed...) by:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/misc/googleearth-package

The description says: "Google Earth is available for GNU/Linux from their web
site, but is not only not Free Software, but is completely undistributable by a
third party.

This utility makes it possible to build your own personal Debian package of
Google Earth. The packaging itself is Free Software, but the Google Earth
program is governed by the copyright holder (Google), so you may be limited as
to what you can do with the resulting package (i.e. no redistribution, etc).
This package will simply help you create the package--it is your responsibility
to use the resulting package responsibly."

So, you could use the same approach (using a script that downloads the package
from google's website etc.) or, IMHO way better, just move google-earth back to
[unsupported].

Cheers,

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok at gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF  2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB