[aur-general] Can a fresh TU sponsor requests [was:Applying to become TU]

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:24:11 EST 2008

Let's start a new thread about this:

On Jan 7, 2008 2:59 PM, JJDaNiMoTh <jjdanimoth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:17:06 +0100
> "Ronald van Haren" <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay, I will sponsor Mateusz. This will start a five day discussion
> period.
>
> I'm not again request of Mateusz (and your sponsorship).. but I want to
> post this question: Can a fresh (very very fresh :D) TU sponsors
> requests? I think yes, I don't read anything in bylaws. But.. is it
> right? Because, I'm sure about the great work that you and Mateusz (if
> he will be accepted as a TU) will done, but how about a 'testing
> period'? I'm sure that all of us doesn't born learned ( uhm, english
> language doesn't give the idea that italian does :P ) and that new TUs
> need time to learn all TUs functions, starting from bugtracker to all
> small thing never written but that we daily use.
>
> All that I've written is in my honest opinion, and it is a comment
> about the _future_ and not for present.
>

> --
> JJDaNiMoTh - ArchLinux Trusted User

I respect your opinion. I invite everyone to give his opinion on this and
have an open minded discussion.

My 2 cents:
I certainly think it should be possible. In my opinion you are elected as a
TU, and not a TU trainee. See it in this way.
If you get a new job it is also possible for you to propose changes. At your
proposals should be looked upon in greater care (however it is always
important to look at it with care), but you are allowed to propose things.
That is what in my opinion is exactly what should happen. We have a voting
mechanism, every TU is allowed to vote (actually I think you should vote)
yes, no, or abstain. So if you think someone should not make a good new TU,
you should vote NO. It is that easy.

Like you say, you learn by doing things. Sponsoring someone is also doing
something.