[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Please stop the install message insanity

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:11:32 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing that out. I changed this to a post_install in dnsmasq
> 2.43-2, not post_upgrade, since this one you have to read the first time and
> not thereafter.

This is a problem I've been thinking about for a while. It happens far
too often that a message needs to be shown to the user only the first
time a package gets upgraded because something important has changed.

Without the need to modify anything we could use the parameters passed
to post_upgrade: if the old version is affected by the change (can we
use anything like vercmp in install files?) then the message will be
shown, otherwise it won't. It's an extra effort on our side, but it
helps a lot in cleaning up package installation output. Of course
we'll also need to pay attention to when it's time to remove the
message.

I have other possible solutions in mind, but they all require changes
to pacman or arch, and by far they aren't KISS. Any additional
proposal or comment?

Corrado