[aur-general] TU Application

DaNiMoTh jjdanimoth at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 10:42:23 EDT 2008

2008/7/27 Jeff Horelick <jdhore1 at gmail.com>:
> Hi!
> My name is JD Horelick and i'd like to become a TU. I'm 23 and working
> as a sysadmin for a decent-sized company (linux and windows stuff).

Hi

> I first started with ArchLinux in early 2007 (if i had to guess) and
> ever since then, i've loved it. I think pacman is quite possibly the
> greatest package manager i've used and i think the PKGBUILD package
> format is quite nice. I haven't done a crazy amount of development on
> Arch, but i've been using linux since 1999 and i was a Debian
> Developer for ~3 years (where i maintained 10-15 packages).

I don't love Debian and Debian-like distros, but I try to be impartial :)

> As a TU I will offer my knowledge, skills and time to improve my
> favourite distribution and it's packages.
> Some of my specific goals as a TU are:
>
>  * Work on expanding the community repo (for example, clutter is in
> community, but clutter-gtk, clutter-cairo and clutter-gtk are still in
> AUR :(  ).
This is good, but remember licensing issue when you will port packages
from AUR to community ( it isn't the case of clutter, but you know
this for sure, seeing your past job at Debian :P )

>  * Make sure packages in AUR/community are working. For example, i
> tried to build dpkg (i think...It's late) from aur a bit ago and the
> URL changed, if i was a TU (and i will probably do this tomorrow
> anyway), i would email the guy and say like: "Hey, please fix the 404
> on your package or i'm going to take it over".
I'm with Bob here. This isn't the right approach.

>  * My goal is to upload, fix or update a minimum of 1 package a day.
Uhm.. in this place anyone wants blood of others, so don't promise the moon.
And remember that at most of TUs is annoying see that their packages
was modified by others.
For improving of PKGBUILD there are comments and, for most important
thing, the bugtracker; but this could be done without be a TU.

> The final thing, Allan was so kind as to sponsor my application and
> here is the list of packages i have uploaded to the AUR:
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=jdhore

It seems that you know the packaging guidelines :)

Some personal things.
I see the thread linked by angvp, and I think Arch isn't for you, if
you really search in a distro what you write in that posts.

Anyway, good luck in this votation, but someone needs to convince me
to vote yes :)