[aur-general] TU Application

Jeff Horelick jdhore1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:25:01 EDT 2008

Let's see how i can do this:

@everyone: I was a bit harsh on my original "taking over packages"
message and i agree that my original "message" would be the wrong
approach. If i did send out a message like this...Well...I'd first
refine my "template", but i'd also give probably a 1 month time period
for a response. Here's my revised takeover message (for now):
"Hello $uploader-name, i noticed that $package that you maintain in
the AUR is out-of-date and doesn't work because of $error. Please fix
your package or let me know that you're not going to at all so it can
be taken over."

I didn't mean to sound overly confrontational. :(

@Allan - The package that failed on me was debootstrap so you're off
the hook. :P

@Angel (part1): Sorry, i don't have any documentation that qualifies
me as a Debian Developer. I've been inactive for ~3-4 years now and
every package i maintained has been taken over.

@Angel (Part 2): I prefer i686, but i do have 3 x86_64 boxes that i
can use to build packages if needed (Just have to install Arch on
them).

@DaNiMo & @Angel - I'll be honest, Arch just has that feeling that i
can't use it as a primary desktop distro and i don't know why, but i'm
trying to figure it out (and fix either me or the problem i have with
Arch). Until that time though, i do run Arch on almost every box in my
house besides my main desktop, my MythTV box and my server.

@DaNiMo - hehe...I completely remember licensing issues and i was
actually on the fence about uploading Charybdis because it uses
OpenSSL (going to gnutls in their new release) and i remember all the
OpenSSL licensing issues from my time with Debian.

@DaNiMo/All - As i mentioned, my goal is 1 package a day. I can't
guarantee that i will do 1 a day, every day, but i will try. As for
being a TU...The biggest thing is to move packages that i find
interesting/useful to community, be able to assist other AUR/Arch
users better and be able to maintain packages that are unmaintained,
but not orphaned.

I hope this answers all of your questions/comments and i'll be around
for a while to answer even more :)
Thanks
JD