[aur-general] lzma

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 08:44:00 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:10:57PM +0100, Timm Preetz wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 10:00 +0100, Firmicus wrote:
> > In case some of you are interested, it is said to
> > achieve 15% better compression rates than bzip2 while being 2 to 5 times
> > faster. And decompression is nearly as fast as gunzip (see
> > http://tukaani.org/lzma/).
>
> [AUR] lzma 4.32.0beta2-3 [unsupported]
> Compression program, stronger and slower than bzip2
>
> [AUR] lzma-utils 4.32.5-1 [community]
> Compression utility like bzip2, but 15% better and 2-5 times faster
>

> This is odd :)

I did a quick test, and lzma -1 seems to achieve a similar compression ratio
than bzip2, in less time : 8s vs 10s. That's not exactly a 2-5 times faster.
It was also faster at decompressing, 2s vs 3s.

So it does seem like it should be preferred to bzip2, but it's still not
comparable to gzip, which has a lower compression rate but is much faster at
both compression and decompression.