[aur-general] lzma

Firmicus Firmicus at gmx.net
Mon Mar 10 09:19:59 EDT 2008

Xavier a écrit :
>> [AUR] lzma 4.32.0beta2-3 [unsupported]
>> Compression program, stronger and slower than bzip2
>>
>> [AUR] lzma-utils 4.32.5-1 [community]
>> Compression utility like bzip2, but 15% better and 2-5 times faster
>>

>> This is odd :)

Odd indeed, since I DID search for "lzma" on AUR before making my pkg,
and there were no results.

In any case, it is definitely NOT slower than bzip2! I guess whoever put
lzma on AUR/unsupported actually wanted to write "stronger and slower
than gzip".

> I did a quick test, and lzma -1 seems to achieve a similar compression ratio
> than bzip2, in less time : 8s vs 10s. That's not exactly a 2-5 times faster.
> It was also faster at decompressing, 2s vs 3s.
>
> So it does seem like it should be preferred to bzip2, but it's still not
> comparable to gzip, which has a lower compression rate but is much faster at
> both compression and decompression.

Yes, but see http://tukaani.org/lzma/benchmarks for details.

The "2 to 5 times faster" actually applies to decompression speed, not
compression.

BTW, nothing beats gzip in terms of speed and memory footprint... But if
you need higher rates of compression, then lzma seems to be a great
alternative to bzip2.