[aur-general] xfce4-*-svn and others xfce packages

JJDaNiMoTh jjdanimoth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:51:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:58:15 -0700
Tobias Kieslich <tobias at justdreams.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Shaika-Dzari wrote:

[cut]
> > > Weren't we trying to convince someone to join as a TU to maintain the
> > > xfce4-svn packages?  Does anybody know if there was a response about that?
> >
> > I don't know if this is a good ideas but maybe someone could make a post on the forum.
> > There a lot of xfce users and someone may be interrested to adopt and support it.
>
> I'm the xfce4 extra maintainer and from my experience the xfce4 stuff
> goes in waves. Whe the development at upstream gets upt o speed again
> for 4.6 ther will be people that who want the 4.6 svn packages until
> there are beta tarballs available. I know have them lingering around is
> an annoyance but believe me, someone will come along and pick them up.
> It is okay to mve it to unsupported for the moment but please don't get
> rid of them as it will be way much work for whoever to recreate them.
>
> Thanks,
> 	-T

My two cents?
-svn, -git or -cvs packages are allowed to stay in community _only_ if
it is the main way to get them ( like fusion-icon ). And the best thing
to do is download the snapshot, targz it and upload on some private
space, and use it for source ( like thing I do with xgl ), not to use
directly svn or git or cvs in the build function.

Fortunately, we're not forced to follow users; it is suggested, right,
but users have a quick way to get xfce-svn: using makepkg themselves!
And users could set-up their personal repo, to share the packages, like
( fortunately they do ) repo with kdemod, kde4, ... , compiz-git, ...,
kde-svn and many others.

Finally, instead of following users in the fog of -svn packages, we
MUST focus our forces to keep in sync community-64.

Anyway, thanks to wizzo which has maintained it very well; if anyone
want take all xfce-svn packages, they will go in unsupported.

--
JJDaNiMoTh - ArchLinux Trusted User