[aur-general] amendment bylaws: voting & tur-users

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 09:09:11 EDT 2008

Ronald van Haren wrote:
> Hi TUs,
>
> As Xavier pointed out
> (http://archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2008-May/007651.html) , we
> still haven't decided if we want to use the new voting system. So it
> is time to do decide.
>
> According to the bylaws we need to discuss & vote before we can change
> things in the bylaws.
>
> I propose two changes:
>
> 1. change all appearances of tur-users to aur-general
>
> 2.  the fourth section of the standard voting procedure to (at least similar to)
> #######################################
> Following the discussion period, a voting period opens. Simple YES, NO
> , or ABSTAIN votes are to be cast under the Trusted User section of
> the AUR homepage by at least a quorum of active TUs.
> ######################################
>
> The SVP for changing the bylaws is:
> SVP( amend_bylaws, 5, 0.75, 7);
>
> This mail starts the 5 day discussion period. Please note that in the
> discussion period you have to vote for both points ;)
>
> Ronald

I am all for the first point.

For the second, going through the responses from the thread announcing
the AUR voting system there were concerns about not being able to
abstain (although I think you can according to the vote summary) and
email notifications.  For email notifications, it is easy enough to mail
the list (as ammended in point one) when a vote is added.  An automatic
system could be worked out later.

As a query, can we see who has voted for a proposal.  We might start
running into quorum issues if we can't track who has voted and give
those who don't a boot (a bit pessimistic I know, but probably justified...)

Allan