[aur-general] list for reserverd UIDs for special system users

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon May 19 07:38:46 EDT 2008

2008/5/19 Michael Krauss <hippodriver at gmx.net>:
> On 19/05/08, Callan Barrett wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Michael Krauss
>> <hippodriver at gmx.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > dma now occupies 74:74.
>>
>> I don't think you're meant to actually edit this list are you? It's
>> just for reference.
>
> Maybe you are right, I don't know. There were two points why I
> supposed editing is ok:
> i)      The page isn't write protected.
> ii)     If I am not allowed to add ids that I use, others aren't
>        allowed too. That implies there may be packages out there that
>        use unlisted ids. So using an unlisted id for my package to not
>        interfere with other programs is useless. Finally this means
>        the list isn't that important and could be ignored.
>        But if it's not important, why not editing it myself ;-)
>
> However, if you want my entries to be removed, simply delete them. I
> promise to not adding them again in this case. Instead I would add
> some voodoo to the dma.install script to make sure that the ids are not
> used when installing the package. Unfortunately this won't prevent an
> other subsequently installed package from reusing the ids.

I'd say the best way for handling this situation is:
* user posts a list of his/her packages that need uid/gid,
* dev/tu decides which uid/gid number it should be and adds them
* user modifies his/her packages to use the hardcoded uids/gids
Note that it is not recommended to add new uids/gids below 100,
unless it is some standard system package or a very popular one with
the same uid/gid in every distro
(something like that, you've got the idea, I guess).

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)