[aur-general] pkgrel updates

Loui louipc.ist at gmail.com
Tue May 20 14:38:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008 22:36:26 +1000
Allan McRae <mcrae_allan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A large portion of recent updates (~2/3) are only bumped in the pkgrel,
> i.e. no pkgver update.  While I realize some of these will be legitimate
> rebuilds, it is a bit of a concern to me given nothing major has moved
> from the testing repo and I don't recognize the packages from bug reports.
>
> I haven't looked at whose packages these are (and at this stage, I
> honestly don't care), but it seems a reminder about quality control on
> the packaging front is needed.  I don't mean to sound overly grumpy, but
> this costs users and the mirrors bandwidth as well as giving the few
> x86_64 using TUs more work.

I would have thought this phenomenon would be a result of quality
control, not a lack of it. A pkgrel might be bumped as a result of
making a PKGBUILD more standards compliant for example. Anyways, you
have a point. It's not nice to to make users download/install the same
pkg for only that reason.

Is it still possible to upload a new PKGBUILD without uploading a new
binary package so that ABS users get the good stuff? That might be
handy.