[aur-general] Packages in Community and votes.

Aaron Schaefer aaron at elasticdog.com
Mon Nov 10 20:39:25 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I only raised the issue of unused or barely used packages in Community
> and pruning the repo. We should really be focusing on that before
> diverting the discussion and delving into other areas.

I know we've discussed this in IRC, but again my question is _why_
should this be the focus? Does it give us the most improvement for the
least effort? Does it inconvenience users the least? Is it the
cheapest? By how much? Is it the fastest? Why? Why? Why?

I'm open-minded about suggestions, but need something more substantial
to back them up than just saying "we should do this". Where are the
numbers to support the claim? Also, it seems as though the issue of
popularity/voting and the community repo might be altogether different
than the issue of server resources. Are we linking the two together
because of a twist of fate with timing and pkgstats coming to
fruition?

Aaron "ElasticDog" Schaefer

p.s. my link for package sizes will disappear in a day, here's a
better one: http://omploader.org/vd3Vx