[aur-general] Packages in Community and votes.

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:50:02 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Aaron Schaefer <aaron at elasticdog.com> wrote:
> If the real issue is disk space and IO, what about the possibility of
> a hardware upgrade?

Insider info: we're upgrading from ram and disks next Thursday, I
believe, and switching to x86_64 (as we'll have 16GB of ram). The disk
space won't see as large of an improvement as we'd like, due to
hardware compatibility stuff (damn Dell).

This will help the space issue. The space issue is the primary reason
I haven't flipped to switch to generate source tarballs yet (last I
checked, this was 10-15 gigs for core and extra). And with us
distributing community packages, I will need too, legally, provide
source for all those binaries too...

The IO, on the other hand

> What about fixing the AUR backend? What about adding a CVS commit
> hook in the mean time to fix permissions on upload instead of running a
> single cron job?

is related to the AUR backend daemon (tupkgupdate ?), which is in the
AUR repository. A rewrite would be HUGELY appreciated.... the steps
are simple: find new packages in upload dir, add to pacman DB, add to
mysql DB. It's not all that hard, yet the current daemon runs through
ALL packages when it does this, IIRC