[aur-general] TU Application

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.com.ve
Tue Oct 7 15:48:51 EDT 2008

Evangelos Foutras ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Evangelos Foutras. I'm 20 years old and currently a student
> of Informatics at the University of Piraeus in Athens, Greece.
>
> I had my first taste of GNU/Linux a few years back with Mandrake 9.0
> (if I remember correctly) that came with a magazine I bought. I didn't
> know much about computers back then and gave up quickly. Since then, I
> used Windows (2000 and then XP) pretty much until 2007. At that time I
> discovered Ubuntu and started messing around with it, setting my
> system to dual-boot XP and Ubuntu. I gradually increased the time
> spent on Ubuntu especially during the summer of the same year, and
> finally dumped Windows all together on Oct 20 2007. I've never looked
> back since.
>
> During this one and a half year, I've tried several distributions,
> including Fedora and Debian; they were alright. I really liked that
> Fedora shipped with very up-to-date software and I still use Debian
> for server environments. My first Arch installation was done this
> spring but for some reason I can't recall, I went back to Ubuntu the
> following day. My next Arch encounter I owe to Alex Cartwright,
> founder of TangoCMS[1]. He had recently switched to Arch himself and
> urged me to give it another try. This time I got to understand and
> love the Arch Way, so I didn't bounce. "Love at second sight", I guess.
>
> Currently, I maintain 8 packages in AUR. Two of them feature (crappy)
> software I've authored, two others are new contributions and the rest
> are orphans I've adopted. I'm somewhat experienced at C, Python, PHP
> and Bash, skills which have aided in handling issues that arise when
> packaging a piece of software.
>
> Let me say that I'm amazed at the quality of the distribution as a
> whole, and the tools that have been developed for it. The community is
> wonderful as well, composed of smart and skillful people who enjoy
> being of assistance to others. I'd like to get more involved in Arch
> and help wherever I can; therefore I'm applying for TUship. Daenyth
> has offered to be my sponsor and I sincerely thank him for that. :)
>
> Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> ------------
> [1] http://www.tangocms.org/
<cut>

Hi Evangelos, you seems to be known for me(maybe on IRC @ #archlinux ;-D).

Well, I reviewed your packages and I found this:

* Remove this (vim tag) # vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et: from your packages.
* gcompris, gnome-hearts, movic, xdotool: Maintainer tag is just for TUs
(if this become a reality then you can change again to Maintainer, but
consider to do this change to the next release)
* gnalert: license is an array, change license="GPL" by license=('GPL')

Now let me ask few questions, what are your plans becoming a TU?
Adopting orphaned packages in community?, move some AUR packages to
community (which ones?), help developing/patching AUR?.

Btw you missed to point us to your AUR link or at least your nick in AUR
(foutrelis), i guessed by your e-mail address ;).

Good luck!

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net