[aur-general] TU Application

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 03:41:46 EDT 2008

First of all, let me say that this has not so much to do with the TU
application of Evangelos per se. I mean I haven't even looked at his
work yet so please don't feel this like an attack on you personally.
Anyway, feel free to split this of if someone decides to respond to my
concerns.

First of all, I think the group is growing to fast. If Evangelos is
accepted, I think we are close to 25% increase in group size in about
1 month. Sure, it is a good thing if we increase the size of the TU
group, but we also need to worry about quality. Every new TU has to go
through a learning curve, making mistakes in the progress.

Quite a few new additions have only few packages in AUR. Basically the
quality of their AUR packages is more or less the only thing we can
judge them on as that mostly resembles what they will be doing if they
become a TU.

The last point, which may be actually my fault as I almost never hang
out on IRC and don't read arch-general, I don't know any of the last
TU additions. Point is, I think it should be a prerequisite to be part
of the Arch community for quite some time, be known to help people in
the progress. As said, this may be true for most new additions (I
remember reading some in their applications either way), but for the
case of for example Evangelos (sorry it is just the first example I
have by hand), he is only using Arch for a couple of months. Who tells
me he will still use Arch x months for now, leaving us with a bunch of
orphans?

As said, these are just a couple of concerns I have regarding the
quaility of the TU group. Feel free to discuss them (either here or in
a separate thread), or ignore them :p

Regards,

Ronald