[aur-general] TU Application

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:36:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 03:41, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, let me say that this has not so much to do with the TU
> application of Evangelos per se. I mean I haven't even looked at his
> work yet so please don't feel this like an attack on you personally.
> Anyway, feel free to split this of if someone decides to respond to my
> concerns.
>
> First of all, I think the group is growing to fast. If Evangelos is
> accepted, I think we are close to 25% increase in group size in about
> 1 month. Sure, it is a good thing if we increase the size of the TU
> group, but we also need to worry about quality. Every new TU has to go
> through a learning curve, making mistakes in the progress.

I think we can only benefit from more. You bring up a good point about
having many inexperienced TUs at a time, but I still think that the
benefit outweighs any downsides.

> Quite a few new additions have only few packages in AUR. Basically the
> quality of their AUR packages is more or less the only thing we can
> judge them on as that mostly resembles what they will be doing if they
> become a TU.
What do you propose we judge them on apart from that? As I said, I've
talked to him for some time on IRC, and he's a great guy.

> The last point, which may be actually my fault as I almost never hang
> out on IRC and don't read arch-general, I don't know any of the last
> TU additions. Point is, I think it should be a prerequisite to be part
> of the Arch community for quite some time, be known to help people in
> the progress.

How could this possibly be quantified? And isn't this what the
sponsorship is for, someone to vouch that the person in question is
good?

> As said, this may be true for most new additions (I
> remember reading some in their applications either way), but for the
> case of for example Evangelos (sorry it is just the first example I
> have by hand), he is only using Arch for a couple of months. Who tells
> me he will still use Arch x months for now, leaving us with a bunch of
> orphans?

I don't think this should be relevent when considering an addition,
unless you have reason to believe that they will leave soon. The very
fact that they are applying says to me that they care about the
community and about arch. If they didn't care and didn't plan to stick
with it, why bother applying? We still benefit in the short term at
the very least. The worst that would happen is that we'd have to
remove a few orphans in community. It's also just as likely that
long-term members drop their packages and move on in some way. We've
had several in the past few months who have been a TU for quite some
time.