[aur-general] Adding new TUs - Was: TU Application

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 8 08:58:32 EDT 2008

Ronald van Haren wrote:
> First of all, I think the group is growing to fast. If Evangelos is
> accepted, I think we are close to 25% increase in group size in about
> 1 month. Sure, it is a good thing if we increase the size of the TU
> group, but we also need to worry about quality. Every new TU has to go
> through a learning curve, making mistakes in the progress.

Remember there was a whole heap of new devs going through a bit of a
learning curve not long ago...  As long as all new TU's ask questions
when they are unsure about anything and we are free to answer their
questions, we should not run into problems that are too hard to fix.

However, I do agree that it is becoming difficult for us to judge people
based on their packages.  Most people just do not have enough and those
they do have are mainly adopted orphans rather packages of their own.
This is fair enough - in my time here I have only added four or five
packages to the AUR.

If an existing TU knows an applicant then that is good, but we do not
want this to be a rule.  (In fact, someone pointed out that it seemed to
be a necessity just today:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56534).  I do not know how to
get around this.  So, how can we judge new applicants?

Allan