[aur-general] Stopping Arch contribuiting

M. Rawash mrawash at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 18:28:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 23:24 +0200, Ronald van Haren wrote:
On 9/21/08, M. Rawash <mrawash at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ok, i've also packaged (fedora's) online-desktop (see
> > http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/13/tour-of-gnome-online-desktop/)
> > which includes quite a few packages (that include empathy among others),
> > was wondering if we could create a new group in community called
> > 'online-desktop', which shall include:
> > - online-desktop
> > - bigboard
> > - beautifulsoup
> > - hippo-canvas
> > - desktop-data-model
> > - empathy/telepathy
> > - others?
> >
> > i wanna hear your thoughts, this is only my second message to AUR's ML
> >
> nah, better not. Groups are for official packages to make installing
> of for example desktop environments easier. Creating groups for each
> and every package is not the way to go, we have depends and optdepends
> for that. Besides that adding new groups for unsupported packages does
> not make much sense to me.

online-desktop is 'almost' a desktop of its own, but i don't really know
much about Arch's policy considering groups, so you're probably right..

> ps. there is already beautiful-soup in community. I assume we can
> remove beautifulsoup from unsupported?

yes, i've already fixed my packages deps, you can delete it now, and i'll
try to search more next time :P

> > i could also use some help packaging mugshot, seems like it needs some
> > patching in order to find some xulrunner deps, but i'll keep trying..
> >
> Post what you have and the error message. Maybe someone has time to help
you.

the error message is completely useless, somebody has to try it him/herself,
gentoo already has a patch for it, but i didn't bother to try to rip it off
(for now):
http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/sunrise/reviewed/net-misc/mugshot/mugshot-1.1.95.ebuild

patches are in ../files, they use the firefox engine however, while we're
trying to use xulrunner-1.9...

> Ronald

cheers..