[aur-general] pkgconflict: a tool to find file conflicts when building packages

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Sat Apr 4 21:39:19 EDT 2009

I wrote this code in anger.  Hopefully, others might find it useful.
There is a little story behind it.

I maintain the nmh package in unsupported.  I just discovered that a
package from extra provides /usr/bin/dp, which is also provided by nmh.
We have this nice collection of files under /var/cache/pkgtools/lists,
thanks to Daenyth's very useful pkgfile tool.
We ought to be able to use that collection to detect conflicts like the one I
just described.  Hence the birth of pkgconflict.

Usage: pkgconflict <PACKAGEFILE>

Source is here: http://members.cox.net/cmbrannon/pkgconflict

If someone else has a better tool for this purpose, I'd love to hear about it!

Enjoy,
-- Chris

PS.  pkgconflict already proved useful.  It showed me that /usr/bin/scan,
also from nmh, is provided by linuxtv-dvb-apps from community.