[aur-general] pkgconflict: a tool to find file conflicts when building packages

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:39:53 EDT 2009

2009/4/5 Chris Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net>:
> I wrote this code in anger.  Hopefully, others might find it useful.
> There is a little story behind it.
>
> I maintain the nmh package in unsupported.  I just discovered that a
> package from extra provides /usr/bin/dp, which is also provided by nmh.
> We have this nice collection of files under /var/cache/pkgtools/lists,
> thanks to Daenyth's very useful pkgfile tool.
> We ought to be able to use that collection to detect conflicts like the one I
> just described.  Hence the birth of pkgconflict.
>
> Usage: pkgconflict <PACKAGEFILE>
>
> Source is here: http://members.cox.net/cmbrannon/pkgconflict
>
> If someone else has a better tool for this purpose, I'd love to hear about it!
>
> Enjoy,
> -- Chris

Thanks for the useful script! But shouldn't this line:
        known_files[entry] = (repo, package)
be
        known_files[entry].append((repo, package))

and then this check:
       (repo, package) = known_files[file]
could be modified to
      if len(known_files[file]) > 0:
            for repo, pkg in known_files[file]:
                 if pkg != pkg_given:
                       print "%s: conflicts %s/%s (%s)" % (pkg_given,
repo, pkg, file)

Otherwise the previous entry for a file might be overwritten
if there are conflicts and the package name specified on the
command line occurs *after* the conflicting package name.

The case you've described will always work since you're
testing against a package from unsupported.

--
Abhishek