[aur-general] TU appliance Jens Maucher (defcon)

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 11:40:42 EDT 2009

My thoughts...

I'd say that the "install" thing was considered to be a minor
infraction -- but regardless of whether it's strictly necessary, I
would say that conventions are good to follow.

As someone who's been involved in an organization with a very strict
entrance system based on votes, I have one thing to say that I have
learned over the years: The number one thing improves chances of
entrance success is knowing the people who are voting. If they know
you and like you somewhat, they are greatly more likely to vote you
in. Look at it this way: even if you're a mediocre packager, but
everyone knows and likes you, then they're likely to think, "Well,
okay. He'll stumble a bit and we'll have to clean up some stuff, but
he's a good, hard-working guy and he'll learn."

As others here have said, this is just most crucial. To paraphrase
above: "Since we don't know the applicant, we have to rely on his
PKGBUILDs. They aren't excellent, so there were a lot of negative
votes". (Mind you, I'm not a TU.)

So here is my recommendation: Now TUs know you somewhat, that's good.
They've seen your name. Hang out with them on IRC/forums/newsgroups.
Be helpful and humble, willing to learn. Then in three months (which,
Iirc, is the time between TU apps), you can give it another shot.
Chances are, if you've been active + nice + improving over that time,
the TUs will know you and probably like you. They'll see that you've
put three months of effort in after being rejected initially, and that
shows dedication and hard-workingness. Chances are, at that point, if
you re-apply, you'll get in without much trouble and be hailed as a
good addition to the team who's overcome adversity and improved
himself.

Good luck,

-Andrei "Garoth" Thorp