[aur-general] Submitting a new package (sunjdk)

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Apr 5 18:58:36 EDT 2009

M Rawash <mrawash at gmail.com> wrote:

> jdk and jre in [community] are not updated as often as they should be
> imo (currently out-of-date, again), and the only other option is
> jre/jdk_beta, which are, well, beta!
>
> also, my package installs both jdk and jre (in the same manner as
> openjdk) so users don't download the same binary package twice (a la
> jre/jdk_beta) if they are unaware..
>
> regards..

I don't think it will be a problem if you give the package a distinct yet recognizable name (jdk-jre?) and include the proper provides and conflicts arrays in the PKGBUILD. If it does create some issue it can always be removed later.

Have you tried contacting the jre/jdk packager directly about the update interval? You could also bring his attention to your combined package.

I don't know what the current status of it is, but I've seen a few posts about including the ability to split packages in makepkg. That might eventually solve the redundant download issue, although if it is the same binary package you could just copy/symlink it into a new build directory for the second package.