[aur-general] Submitting a new package (sunjdk)

M Rawash mrawash at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:31:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 00:58 +0200, Xyne wrote:
> M Rawash <mrawash at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > jdk and jre in [community] are not updated as often as they should
> be
> > imo (currently out-of-date, again), and the only other option is
> > jre/jdk_beta, which are, well, beta!
> >
> > also, my package installs both jdk and jre (in the same manner as
> > openjdk) so users don't download the same binary package twice (a la
> > jre/jdk_beta) if they are unaware..
> >
> > regards..
> >

> I don't think it will be a problem if you give the package a distinct
> yet recognizable name (jdk-jre?) and include the proper provides and
> conflicts arrays in the PKGBUILD. If it does create some issue it can
> always be removed later.

it'll be called sunjdk, because 'jre' is just an extract of the bigger
binary package..

> Have you tried contacting the jre/jdk packager directly about the
> update interval? You could also bring his attention to your combined
> package.

i stopped using jre/jdk from [community] sometime ago, due to the lack
of updates and unresponsiveness of the maintainer (jre/jdk_beta were
introduced for this very reason)

> I don't know what the current status of it is, but I've seen a few
> posts about including the ability to split packages in makepkg. That
> might eventually solve the redundant download issue, although if it is
> the same binary package you could just copy/symlink it into a new
> build directory for the second package.

i know it's easy to use the same archive for a couple of different
packages, but that's assuming the user knows it's the same archive (i
certainly didn't)

cheers..