[aur-general] Submitting a new package (sunjdk)

M Rawash mrawash at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:49:00 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 20:25 -0400, Daenyth Blank wrote:
> 2009/4/5 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>:
> >> i stopped using jre/jdk from [community] sometime ago, due to the lack
> >> of updates and unresponsiveness of the maintainer (jre/jdk_beta were
> >> introduced for this very reason)
> >>

> > The fact is that you cannot duplicate packages on AUR even if these
> > are more updated than existents.. If you think that the maintainer of
> > jre/jdk is not doing a good job, then write him an e-mail, offering
> > help.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > --
> > Angel Velásquez
> > angvp @ irc.freenode.net
> > Linux Counter: #359909
> >

> While it technically is not a duplicate, it more or less is just two
> packages combined into one. I wouldn't add it and would instead
> coordinate with the jre/jdk maintainer so that those packages can be
> kept up to date. Alternately, apply to be a TU and keep the packages
> up to date yourself, if he's willing to orphan them for you.

not really, unless you regard kde packages in [extra] as duplicates of
those in [kde-mod]. jre and jdk is just sun's jdk split into two
packages for the sole purpose of having smaller binary packages, but
serve no purpose at all if you are building from a pkgbuild.

however, if you still see it as problematic, you can well remove it,
i'll continue to use it personally anyway..

cheers