[aur-general] Use of sudo in pkgbuild

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 7 18:14:00 EDT 2009

Laurie Clark-Michalek schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on the splashy-creator package (updating it to 2.2), and
> had got it working, when I realised I had a potential problem. I needed to
> use sudo in the pkgbuild, and so far, I have never seen it used in a
> package. Is this OK, and/or is there away to avoid it?

I see you're already getting lots of good help here, but just for
reference I want to make this clear: No, never, absolutely not.

The reason you need sudo ist that make install wants to modify something
inside your system. Not only will that make the build system unclean,
these changes also won't show up on install time on the system you use
it. This won't work as soon as you build the package on one system and
install it on another. That is why (like others already explained to
you), this command has to be moved to a post_upgrade script.

I didn't look it up now, but this is supposed to be somewhere in the
Arch Packaging Standards or in a related document.